Saturday, March 24, 2007

Ode to Laundry

Laundry from right out of the dryer
You are my favorite.
You are so fresh and also so clean.
So fresh and so clean, clean.

Remember that one time you used to be dirty, laundry?
Do you remember that one time?

But now you are clean.
And you are warm.
You are warm to the touch and warm to the smell.

You are warm to every sense I have, except sight.
But even then
Even then, if I were to take you outside in cold tempertures I would see steam
I would see steam rise from you up into the cold air
And then
Even then my sense of sight would know
Would know how warm you are
My laundry fresh out of the dryer.

And I am so sorry, clean and warm laundry.
I am so sorry that I forgot the dryer sheet.
I always forget the dryer sheet, laundry, and I am so sorry.

But I am folding you, laundry.
I am folding you fresh out of the dryer, I did not even let you sit
Sit and wrinkle.
I did not even let you sit and wrinkle, laundry.

You are folded now. Folded and warm, laundry.

We are best friends, laundry. You and I are best friends.
And we will be until the end of time.

And we could be so much more, laundry.

If only you had ovaries.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tracey said...

This. Is. So. Beautiful. I only wish my boyfriend would write such loverly poetry about my lack of ovaries. *sigh*

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home