Monday, September 24, 2007

It's The End Of The Fucking World, Man

I'm having dinner at a friend's house, making grilled cheese while she fusses with her DVD player. The remote won't work. It doesn't have the right button.

I laugh at her and turn towards the fridge, snooping around for a beverage.

A quiet scream sneaks in through her screen door and quickly erupts into the whole apartment rattling the walls and my brain. It is the distinct sound of a large, fast plane flying dangerously low and dangerously close.

My friend runs off onto her balcony, eight stories off the ground, looking up with wide eyes.

I quickly follow her and poke my head out just in time to see a small speck of a stealth jet soaring through the sky past the football game.

Go Bears.

My heart quickly tip-toes back up from my balls into my chest.

For one second, a part of me had expected the end of the world. And for half of that second, a part of that part of me had been ready for it.

3 Comments:

Blogger DJDangerRanger said...

I actually had a similar experience once. Though it might not apply as much since it was in a dream, but I believe it does anyway. I dreamed there was some wildly horrific disease transmitted through contact that turned everyone into zombies trying to infect everyone who didn't have it (basically it was like 28 days later). I just woke up to look out the window and deduced what was happening from the scene below. Though I tried to escape, I was soon surrounded, and faced with that belief that the soul was essentially about to be taken from my body. While scared, for the split second before waking up, I had come to accept it. Scary and yet at the same time, kind of comforting isn't it?

5:35 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

so I actually dreamt about this all night a couple nights ago-- that planes were flying loudly in the sky, and the whole neighborhood was wondering what was going on, but I knew it was the end of the world. it was a really weird and long dream.

2:52 PM  
Blogger AHaynes said...

Uh oh...

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home