Sunday, October 14, 2007

Strange Woman

Her face frowns.

Not just her mouth, but her entire face.

And it frowns at everything.

"Hullo," I says to her. She just looks at me and frowns. I am still part of everything, even though I says "Hullo."

I don't says anything else to her, but instead I look at my feet.

They are dirty.

Moments later I try again.

"How are you?" I says. She just frowns still.

Obviously she is not good, that is how she is. The frown tells me this. But I figure to myself "If I asks you how you is, you can says you are not good with your words, and not just your frowny face, Strange Woman."

Her stockings are black as the night in the countryside. The kind of night that is not lit up by tiny electric fires like in the city. But the kind of night that is black as the frown on her face because there are no fires to brighten it up.

She has an open seat next to her, but I do not sit down. She does not want a body in her general area of being. She would just like to frown.

She is little. She is a little old woman who frowns. Not the kind of little old woman who gives out good chocolates and smiles. To me, that is the best kind of old woman for I like any kinds of chocolates. Good and bad. I am also a fan of smiles, but smiles only make my heart happy and not my belly.

She has a large suitcase, for she has somewhere to be. Or one would assume so, at least. She could be dragging around all of her things she's ever owned in that large suitcase while she is just looking for somewhere to stay, but she is dressed too nicely and too cozy for me to assume she does have a place where she belongs.

Finally she says "I am fine." But this is a lie. Her body has already told me, in particular her frown, that she is not good. Nor is she fine.

She is neither of these things.

"That's good," I says. For it would be good. If it were not a lie.

Twenty two seconds go by before she says anything else.

"How are you?" she says.

Well I am delighted you ask, Strange Woman. "I am okay," I says.

"Grand," she says.

We are still and says no more.

She is confused as to why I says anything to her at all. I am also confused. We stay confused until the train stops at where I wants it to stop and I gets off.

Then the train goes away taking Strange Woman and her frown with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home